Friday, August 16, 2013

The Beginning of the End

Soccer season has officially begun, which means my social life has essentially ended. Not that I have much of a social life as it is, but my days are now filled with training, games, fitness testing, bus rides, and smelly gear. It's the time of scoffing at the idea of cooking dinner after a long day and sore muscles after training keepers for an hour. It's devastating losses and glorious wins. It's what I live for, and I don't mind giving up so much of my time to be a part of something I'm so passionate about. Getting paid to do it is nice too :)
Some of the high school players and me on picture day
A lot of things have been going on in my life. I'm now the junior varsity coach at Findlay High School in addition to being a varsity assistant coach. This is my first real experience coaching 11v11 and I'm very excited about it. I am also the head coach of the U11 Gold and U12 White girls' soccer teams for Findlay Soccer Club, so I'm going to be coaching a lot of 8v8 this year as well! In addition, I have been hired on as a part time sports writer at the Fostoria Review Times and my first piece will be printed shortly, which is exciting. I guess it's time to put my little old college degree to some use! Finally, as many of you probably know if you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, some friends and I started a company, Conscious Cakes, that sells gluten free, dairy free, vegan jar cakes on Etsy. We've officially been in operation for 6 months and it has been wonderful! Check out more on that on our Facebook or Etsy pages.

Last weekend I played in the alumni soccer game. One of the JV girls asked me that morning how old the oldest player in the game was going to be and I had the startling realization that I was going to be the oldest player on the field. That was crazy. Luckily one of my other classmates played too, so I may be older by 6 months but at least there were two of us representing the class of '07 out there!

The alumni team with the varsity players
With soccer season starting plus work I'm going to be crazy busy for the next three months, but I hope to keep everyone updated on the soccer seasons and how work is going! I'll try to remember to post a link to my article if it's available and hopefully have more pics from my teams to share in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment