Monday, July 15, 2013

This Week's Five Things That Made Me Smile

I start so many blog posts that I never finish or that never see publication. They end up with me rambling and talking in circles or they get way too personal to post on the internet. Sometimes they start out with promise and then after two paragraphs I just don't see the point in finishing what I started saying. Sometimes I can't articulate what I want to say the right way, so I just don't try. I want my writing to mean something, and sometimes I think I focus too much on that instead of writing what's truly on my heart. I should write for me, not for other people. This is my blog, after all. But I also know that I am posting this online, not in my personal journal, so I am somewhat writing for the world (or my world, I suppose) to read. Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is that I'll hopefully write something meaningful sometime in the near future. Until then, I'm going to focus on things that are making me happy.

There's so much going on in the world and our lives. Every day we deal with stress, sadness, anger, and other negative things. I think sometimes we let these things overtake the things that we should feel blessed that we have. We focus so much on the bad and the ugly that we forget how much good we have too. So here we go again, here you have the things that made me smile this week.

1. My Bri got married! Ever since my first real conversation with this girl, I knew she would have an important and permanent place in my life. For much of my college career she was my spiritual rock. She was my church buddy and someone I went to for advice in so many aspects of my life. The first time I met Patrick I adored him. He was sweet and funny, and of course loved football! I got the call about her engagement and literally squealed with excitement. I was so excited to get to share in her wedding day, and everything was so fun and gorgeous. It was a long night for me, as I had to go to camp afterward (which resulted in my arriving at camp around 3am) but it was so worth it! I also got to see some friends I haven't seen in months or even years! It was a great night. Congrats, Bri and Patrick Coggins!
Me, Bri and Christy at the reception. A RallyCats reunion!
Barbie, whom I haven't seen in years, and I sat next to each other at the reception
2. Most people think my hair is naturally straight because that's typically how I wear it. However, my hair is naturally wavy/curly. If it isn't done properly, it gets super frizzy and crazy in what my mom and I call "Lion Head" because it looks like a crazy lion mane. I always used to hate my hair because it does crazy things, but I'm learning to embrace it and now that I have mastered how to properly style my hair naturally, I actually love wearing it wavy! Plus it helps in all this rainy and hot weather when my hair wants to crimp and wave if it's straightened.
This is my naturally wavy hair
3. Have I mentioned how much I love manicures? Oh, I have? Well, I do. And I gave myself a new one this week after much indecisiveness after camp. I love doing my own nails and trying fun things! This time I did water marbling, which I've done before, but I did it in some summery colors on two accent nails on each hand.
Mint Candy Apple with Tart Deco and Play Date marble, all by Essie
4. I feel very blessed to have an awesome sister-in-law. Lately a few people have brought it to my attention that I talk about Haley a lot and speak very highly of her. I told a friend that she reminded me of Haley the other day and she said "I'm taking that as a compliment because of the way you talk about her!" I thought about it and she's right. I absolutely love that when people ask me about my brother's wife I can truly say I love her and she's one of my best friends. I miss her a lot and New Orleans is a lot farther than Cincinnati so I won't get to see her as much, but it looks like I'll have to be making a trip to NOLA in the near future!
Haley and me at our friend Hillary's wedding two summers ago
At her rehearsal dinner
The day she became my sister-in-law!
5. I have a job that I love. Coaching soccer is the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. I don't make a lot of money, I put up with a lot of crap from kids and parents, I spend long days in the hot sun, and I give up my weekends and evenings to be with these kids. But I absolutely love what I do and I love these kids. The high school season starts this week with our first preseason tournament and my younger teams start in August, and I can't wait. I've already got practice plans running through my head and I'm ready to knock the ball around a little myself. Soccer season is the best season!
My three teams and me all together last fall

No comments:

Post a Comment